Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Invisible Woman

I finally saw that hot guest karate instructor again. Good thing he's married, because instead of losing ten pounds, I'd gained three and a half.

He did not so much as look my way.

And this despite the fact that after a previous class I had complemented him on how well he interacts with the kids.

I read this great advice in the book He's Just Not That Into You, a book every young woman should read (although I was no longer young when I read it). One of the excuses women give themselves is “he just hasn't noticed me yet”. The author lays it out quite simply:

Take the amount of time it took you to notice him. Cut it in half.

In other words, yes, he's already noticed you. He just isn't interested. Move on.

That sage advice has stopped me from making a fool of myself on a number of occasions. Now, when I see an attractive guy, instead of going into that preening-fiddling-with-my-hair mode, I remind myself that he's already noticed me and decided he's not interested. Saves me some time and embarrassment.

But seriously, when the karate instructor didn't even glance at me, I felt like that guy in the Night Court episode who was convinced that he was invisible because nobody ever looked at him and when he spoke nobody seemed to hear him.

A great commentary on alienation in our society.

Of course, I know I'm not invisible. I'm much too fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment