Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Symbol of My Decadence

Every day I check Amazon's Deal of the Day. I don't why. I really shouldn't. Because every now and then something catches my eye, something I didn't know I just had to have until it was on sale right in front of me.

That's how I acquired The Complete Works of Mozart.

Now I like Mozart. I really do. But I don't think I'll live long enough to make my way through this entire set. In fact, it has sat on my entertainment center for three years, and every time I look at it I am reminded that this was one of the most decadent, extravagant, and pointless expenditures of my life.

So today I listed it for sale on Amazon for a mere $121. I bought it for $79. It would be funny if I made a profit on it. I only ever listened to two or three of the 170 disks (sic) and that was only because I was taping them for My Grandmother The Nazi who was in a nursing home at the time.

The only Deal of the Day I ever bought that I didn't regret later was the entire Friends collection. I haven't started watching it yet, but that's okay. I read about a guy who was diagnosed with cancer, decided laughter was the best medicine, and spent months in a hotel room watching funny movies. I figure when I get diagnosed with cancer, I'll watch all ten seasons of Friends.

So I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment