Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Noticeably Softer Skin!

Okay, so I still haven't written up that recipe. Instead, I hurt my neck. That's why I haven't written in days. Every morning, during the time I usually spend on my blog, I am in the shower letting hot water cascade over the pain in my neck to loosen everything up so that I can make it through the day. After that, between Cathy's computer time (mostly school-related) and thunderstorms, I'm lucky if I can get back on the computer at all!

I can't believe it. I'm about to make a product pitch!

In the last day or two, I've started noticing that my skin is noticeably softer. Now I have the kind of skin (read: old) that is only going to be soft if I slather on the lotion nightly. Which I generally don't do. Because, you know, by nighttime I'm tired. Besides, I don't even want to think about the chemicals that I'm smearing on my body... and the increasing evidence that they get absorbed through our skin. (From plastics to pollution, we are killing ourselves. Actually, uncaring corporations are killing us. But that's a rant for another day.)

Some months ago, we switched soap, when we discovered that ALL regular bar soap contains some hideous bovine ingredient. I've managed to block out what it is, but trust me, it's gross. Grosser because we're vegetarian with vegan leanings. So I researched soap and then bought a case of Olivella Soap from Amazon. $23.01 for 12 bars. I was worried that they would dissolve in days, the way oil-based soaps often do, but they don't. It took us about 8 months to go through 12 bars, which is probably about the rate we were going through our Ivory bar soap before.

Anyway, now I've been showering daily, which isn't my usual habit. (There. I said it. My usual schedule is a shower every other day.) And as long as I'm in there anyway heating up my back and neck, I go ahead and wash. And all of a sudden my skin is smooth and soft, without the benefit of any lotion at all!! Who knew?!

Anyway, I love this soap. I remember learning years ago that Ancient Greek athletes cleansed themselves by rubbing olive oil all over their bodies and then scraping it off. Or by having someone else scrap it off. A little man-on-man action there. Gross, right? Nope. Once again, it turns out that the Ancient Greeks got it right. (About the soap, not the man-on-man action. That part's optional.) This soap is essentially 100% virgin olive oil.

Bonus feature: If you see me on a regular basis and are reading my blog, I will give you your first bar free! Just ask. That will also let me know if anyone is actually reading my blog... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment